Archive for March 1, 2013


2013-02-01

Rabat – Rival protests were held on Friday outside a military tribunal in the Moroccan capital where 24 Sahrawis accused of killing members of the security forces in the Western Sahara in 2010 are being tried.

The politically charged trial, which is being attended by a number of independent foreign observers, has been repeatedly delayed, with the defendants held in custody for more than two years.

The authorities say 11 people died in the clashes, among them members of the security forces, which broke out as the army moved to dismantle the Gdim Izik camp where thousands of local Sahrawis were living in November 2010.

The Sahrawis arrested during the unrest are accused of violence against the security forces, of pre-meditated killing and of mutilating the victims’ bodies.

Some 100 people demonstrated outside the court in Rabat on Friday, among them families of the victims, pro-Saharwi activists and relatives of the accused, many of whom were allowed to attend the trial, an AFP journalist said.

Some relatives of the victims remained outside the tribunal, waving banners that read: “We know who the killers are, so where is justice?”

Ahead of the trial, observers and rights groups expressed concern over allegations the defendants were tortured in custody, about the case being tried by a military court, and about the possible death penalty facing the accused, if convicted.

At dawn on 8 November 2010, Moroccan security forces moved to dismantle the Western Sahara camp, near the territory’s main city of Laayoune, which thousands of Sahrawis had set up in protest over their living conditions.

The intervention sparked clashes that spread to nearby Laayoune, where businesses and public buildings were looted and torched.

The authorities said 11 were killed in the unrest, while the Algeria-based Polisario Front separatists said dozens of people lost their lives.

Morocco annexed the former Spanish colony in 1975, in a move never recognized by the international community.

The Polisario Front launched its struggle for independence even before the annexation, with the resulting war lasting until 1991 when the UN brokered a ceasefire, but a settlement of the conflict still remains elusive.

– AFP

Source: News24.

Link: http://www.news24.com/Africa/News/Morocco-Protests-as-24-Sahrawis-tried-20130201.

Advertisements

Jan. 31, 2013

CAIRO, Jan. 31 (UPI) — Egyptian national interests should prevail over partisan and personal viewpoints, the secretary-general of the Muslim Brotherhood’s political party said.

Egyptian opposition groups initially shrugged off calls from President Mohamed Morsi to have a national dialogue. Hussein Ibrahim, secretary-general of the Muslim Brotherhood’s Freedom and Justice Party, said Islamist politicians were interested in broad-based talks, however.

“We really need to give priority to the interests of the country over intellectual and partisan agendas and narrow personal interests,” he was quoted on the party’s website as saying. “Politicians and party leaders have to compete to offer programs to rebuild Egypt that can positively change the living conditions of citizens.”

Morsi hails from the Muslim Brotherhood. His election in June sparked concerns over the role that Islam has on post-revolutionary politics in Egypt.

Morsi declared a state of emergency in parts of Egypt last week. Frustration boiled over, leading to deadly protests as the country marked the second anniversary of an uprising that unseated longtime President Hosni Mubarak.

Egyptian leaders next month start preparations for parliamentary elections.

“Is it coincidence, though, that the repeated waves of spiraling violence and attempts to spread chaos and lawlessness precede each election event, where the ballot box is the arbitrator?” Ibrahim asked.

Source: United Press International (UPI).

Link: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/Special/2013/01/31/Egypts-FJP-keen-on-dialogue/UPI-17231359659349/.

March 01, 2013

BEIRUT (AP) — Activists say the bodies of 10 men, most of them shot in the head, have been found on a road outside of the Syrian capital.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says the bodies were dumped on the road between the Damascus suburbs of Adra and Dumair. Observatory director Rami Abdul-Rahman said on Friday that all of the bodies were of men who appeared to be between the ages of 30 and 45. He said one of the men had been decapitated.

The identities of the men were not immediately known.